Each of us has worth and dignity, and that worth includes our gender and our sexuality. As Unitarian Universalists (UUs), we not only open our doors to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, we value diversity of sexuality and gender and see it as a spiritual gift. We create inclusive religious communities and work for LGBTQ justice and equity as a core part of who we are. All of who you are is sacred. All of who you are is welcome.
What We Are Doing
- Welcoming Congregations
Our congregations engage in intentional Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) welcoming ministry. Find a Welcoming Congregation near you or learn more about the Welcoming Congregation Program and how we are constantly deepening our practice of welcome.
- The Multicultural Ministries Sharing Project
In July 2013 a groundbreaking project solicited input from Unitarian Universalists historically marginalized by ability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, race, and/or ethnicity about their unique experiences and ministry needs within Unitarian Universalism. Download the reports to review what LGBTQ people had to say.
- LGBTQ Justice and Public Witness
We have a proud history of living our values by advocating for rights and justice for people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, including working for marriage equality, Standing on the Side of Love, and more. Join our #justmarriage celebration July 11 and 12, celebrating marriage equality with 51 weddings over 48 hours and free weddings for same sex couples.
Worship, Learn, and Live Your Faith
Worship, Commemorations, and Celebrations
- Pride: A collection of resources, including readings, meditations, and stories you can use for LGBTQ-focused worship services.
- Transgender Day of Remembrance: Resources for vigils and worship services, including a comprehensive toolkit for planning a Transgender Day of Remembrance service, sample prayers, and suggested hymns, readings, and reflections.
- National Coming Out Day: Resources for celebration and reflection.
- Identity 101: Learn more about sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Print resources: LGBTQ-related pamphlets, flyers, guides, and other print resources.
- The Welcoming Congregation Program: A program that engages congregations in deepening their LGBTQ welcome and inclusion.
- Our Whole Lives: A sexuality education program for the entire lifespan, inclusive of sexuality and gender diversity.
- Practice Spirit, Do Justice Toolkit: Faithfully Responding to Anti-LGBTQ Legislation (PDF, 96 pages)
- LGBTQ welcome and justice stories: News stories and models from our faith movement.
- Standing on the Side of Love for LGBTQ justice: Stories about harnessing the power of love to stop oppression.
- General Assembly presentations: Presentations on LGBTQ topics.
Effective justice ministry depends on partnership. UU partners for LGBTQ justice work, beyond the Unitarian Universalist Association, include UU State Action Networks, Standing on the Side of Love, Interweave, and Transgender Religious Professional UUs Together(TRUUsT). UUs also form interfaith partnerships, such as with the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), Lambda Legal, the National LGBTQ Taskforce, and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).